Pages

Monday, December 10, 2012

TX Words (get your dictionary out)

F
This looks like a shopping cart and it is but in TX this is called a Buggy!!
 There are a few words that can describe an item but I have learned that there is WAY different names for items in Texas than there is CA. A shopping cart is not a shopping cart in TX but a buggy. I thought a buggy is what you rode in with a horse or in the sand (my bad)

And of course how can we forget the famous Texas words: "Reckon" well in CA you say that word and we hear "wrecking" so out West we think you are breaking something. But in Texas "reckon" just means " I guess so".

Now this next word was a great debate with the boyfriend, his mom and I yesterday! A "Beanie" is what knit cap in CA but I guess they have never heard of that in TX cause its a "Toboggan" We had a fun debate over what
This a a great ski cap or what we call a BEANIE in CA but in TX this a TOBOGGAN
 a Toboggan is and well I would like to think I am right. A "toboggan"  is what you ride on in the snow not put on your head to stay warm. I guess on this topic I'll agree to disagree with them. But I still think you don't wear "toboggans" you ride them.


This a real TOBOGGAN you ride on them not wear them, Texas!!
Now there is a funny little word called "Fixing" now in CA we would think you are fixing something that is broken. Not the case in Texas in Texas when you are "fixing" you are about to do something. This could all be confusing for an outsider but you can catch on quickly!!


As you can see I find all these words amusing and I'm still learning them all and I get confused on what they might be talking about but I'm starting to figure it out and starting to speak like a Texan. It takes time and sometimes I still need a dictionary to understand what is being said. All of this is in fun and it just reminds me that I am not from around here and that's ok cause I feel like I am bringing some CA culture to Texas!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment